10mm or 6mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question please.
How do you know if you have 6mm or 10mm cable for cooker.
Getting new cooker but want to make sure cable is right.
Not been in bungalow long so still checking things out.
Cheers Brian

Sponsored Links
The cable size will depend upon the power requirements of the cooker and the route the cable takes to get from the consumer unit to the cooker point.

Sponsored Links
I think it's 4mm upto 13.5kW (32A MCB) and 6mm upto 18kW (40A MCB) but i'm prepared to be corrected!

And corrected you shall be, you're a mile off.

13.5 kw = 56A approx (10mm² minimum) 18kw = 75A (16mm² minimum) but that wasn't the answer to the original question anyway ;)

Yes I should have done my Ohm's Law calcs first! Don't know where I plucked those figures from.

Think i'll stick to cable tray :LOL:

the original question was one of "how do I tell what size cable I already have installed?", not "what size cable do I need?"

easiest way is to turn the power off, get a yellow crimp and see if it fits the cable.. if it does and is not a sloppy fit then it's 6mm ( a sloppy fit would indicate 4mm ) if it doesn't then it's likely to be 10mm ( or larger but that's doubtfull )

Or use a micrometer to measure the diameter and do some maths, there's some people on this forum who could tell you just by looking at it.

I mean by being on site and looking at it.

Thanks for all your help.
Used yellow crimp method,definitely bigger than 6mm.
Thanks again
Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back