12 50watt downlighters in living room -- tripping out!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Can anyone offer me some advice?

I have just moved house and in the living room there are 12 x 50 watt downlighters running off a dimmer switch.

the problem is that after about 10 minutes the 12 downlighters turn off and the dimmer switch is very warm.

I have been told that I need to get a 1200 watt dimmer switch, is this correct or are there other options available?

Thanks,

Ian

Lynda, moderator.

I used the edit button, looks like
icon_edit.gif

Sponsored Links
Its a question of what is actually available to buy. I am told that there is now a 1000W dimmer that fits onto a single box. Home Automation use to have a 600W Dimmer that fitted onto a gridswitch (MK or Crabtree).
My view is that if you fit a 600W dimmer it wont last too long so upgrade to whats available and you'll get longevity.

use less downlighters

600 watts ffs. i have less than that lighting my garden adequately.

600 watts -- alot I know, but I have just bought the house and this is what was fitted in the living room.

That is why Im asking for help / advice. So please don't flame.

Sponsored Links
damage said:
600 watts -- alot I know, but I have just bought the house and this is what was fitted in the living room.

That is why Im asking for help / advice. So please don't flame.
fair enough - many apologies ;)

breezer's idea is good. 20w lamps would reduce the load significantly.

Do you think 20 watt bulbs would be bright enough?

The room is 20ft x 12ft.

Do you think 20 watt bulbs would be bright enough?

The room is 20ft x 12ft.

check if your transformer is being controlled via the dimmer switch. Not all transformers will allow the use of dimmer switches to control the voltage/current passing through them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back