12 AC garden lights transformer life expectancy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My second 12V AC, 60W garden lights transformer has just died. Both lasted around 6 months and were left running for 4-6 hours a day continuously plugged into a timer. Transformer itself plugged into 240V domestic supply in brick outhouse which is cold and damp but certainly not wet, thought the transformer is marked as IP65. Running 5 LED bulbs that are 12V AC in parallel.

Any ideas why the transformers have blown so soon? And yes I have checked the bulbs, fuses and the wall sockets... Also, if I replace, what power should I be going for? I've found replacements at 25W (which is exactly what my draw is) and 60W, which is more than double what I need.

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-7_22-49-56.png
    upload_2021-3-7_22-49-56.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
I have found the transformers last decades but electronic transformers and drivers have capacitors inside so limited life with is reduced if they get too hot, not seen lighting transformers under 50 watt but have seen electronic drivers and transformers at lower outputs, with the electronic often both a minimum and maximum size and as long as your lights don't draw below minimum you and use a larger unit.

I have a 200 VA (watt) wire wound transformer running 4 X 3.5 watt lamps, no problem, I suspect you don't have a transformer but an electronic transformer and it has got too hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back