LED's AC trany

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some garden lights (non LED) running off a 12v AC transformer that would normally be used for Haolgen lighting, 60va 12v AC etc etc. This work great, but I now want to add some LED's.

Can I use this 12ac feed to also power the 3 x 3.3v 20ma Blue LED's (designed to run off 12v dc) if I place a suitable resister in the circuit?? my main concern is the DC and AC bit!?! :eek:(

Sponsored Links
All you need is a cheap rectifier diode and one 390Ω 1/4W resistor per LED.

You can buy a 1N4004 diode for 16p and a 0.6W resistor for 17p from Maplin

Hay thats great!! Many thanks for the reply.

So I would put the Diode on one of the 12v ac out puts and then a resistor on each LED and then wire in parallel?

P.S Does it matter which side of the LED the resister go?

Sponsored Links
Hay thats great!! Many thanks for the reply.

So I would put the Diode on one of the 12v ac out puts and then a resistor on each LED and then wire in parallel?

P.S Does it matter which side of the LED the resister go?

Yes, that's right, diode can go on either output of the transformer and resistors can go either side of the LED's. Then just wire up the resistor/LED pairs in parallel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back