12 mm Dowelling and 12mm drill bit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fix some wood dowelling into a piece of board (making a wellie rack!) - just have the dowelling sticking up out of the wood so it needs to be a snug fit ... (with some glue but the strength will come from the fit)
I know this is possible I have a hoop set and a toddler toy like this...

I have 12 mm dowelling and 13mm drill bits - but these are too loose -thinking the idea is for the dowelling to go straight through. (I have a set of drills and there is a 10mm bit and a 16mm bit - seems like for 9 mm and 15mm dowelling respectively)
I need to go buy something....
Will a 12mm bit create a snug fit for 12 mm dowelling?

Would it be better to get something a mm smaller? (but 11mm don't seem a common size) or use the 10mm and try and make the hole bigger with 'something' ... :?:

Sponsored Links
So 12mm drill bit will be a snug enough fit?
(I was sold my first 13mm drill bit 20+ years ago as the right size to use with 12 mm dowelling for another project by a wood yard/ builders merchant place...maybe they were taking the p**s out of me - being a young female and all that at the time... :evil:)

So 12mm drill bit will be a snug enough fit?
(I was sold my first 13mm drill bit 20+ years ago as the right size to use with 12 mm dowelling for another project by a wood yard/ builders merchant place...maybe they were taking the p**s out of me - being a young female and all that at the time... :evil:)
Sounds like they were! For dowelling I'd suggest using an auger bit or brad point twist drill rather than a flat/spade/speed bit. They cut straighter

Sponsored Links
I went to a shed and had a chat with a helpful assistant - I decided to use 15mm dowelling for my big wellies and 12mm for the children's wellies

I got a 14 mm flat bit and 11 mm round bit -if it was too tight I wriggled the drill around a bit and now have a nice snug fit on 15mm and 12mm dowelling ...
Just wish I realised that years ago...original project was a shoe rack to fit in a wardrobe - which I've still got but have adjusted over the years (shortened to fit a different space and added extra bars for tiny children's shoes) - two wood planks as sides with dowelling bars to hold the shoes. It was so loose I made the dowelling go through the sides, made tiny holes in the dowelling ends and pushed tiny wood shards through like a split pin to secure them ... :rolleyes: oh if only I still had that amount of patience!

some of the more modern glues will fill a gap, like Gripfill, NoMoreNails or the much cheaper own-brands. I almost always use the solvent-free ones as you can clean up with water.

Should work fine if the fit is a bit loose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back