12 volt 20 watt lamp being powered at 230 v ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just changed a 20 watt halogen lamp on my folks cooker hood, and out of curiosity I tested the wire connecting the lamp with a volt alert pen ( I know its not the best way to test). Thinking that it would not light up being low voltage and the pen is sensitive between 200 -1000 volts. But it did light up. Does that mean the lamps are being powered by 230 volts. Thats not right is it?
can I test this with my multi meter and where would I put the probes

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure what sort of 'light pen' you have got but they will light up in all sorts of situations, you may be getting some voltage induced from one of the high voltage leads in the cooker hood (eg the fan).

My suggestion is that, if the light works, put your curiosity in the pending tray, put the cover on the cooker hood and let your folks get on with cooking the food. You could go and have a beer instead. If you really want to be curious then your multimeter is the best bet. You will probably see 12v AC across the pins into the lamp.

TTC

AFAIK volt sticks will light up at ELV lamps if they are fed from an electronic transformer, but not with a wirewound tranny.

Sponsored Links
as its new year eve rub your "pen" on your sleave at 00.00 and shout happy new year, then throw it in the bin.

That can be your first new years resulution sorted, not to trust the damn things

Most electronic trannies do not produce true AC, and certainly not 50Hz - most, if not all digital multimeters will register bugger all! If the electronic tranny is also feeding into no load, it will shut itself down aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back