12 volt lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been told that 12volt lighting uses less electrity than mains 230volt
ie 4off 50 watt 12 volt downlights would use less electricity than 2 off 100 watt 230 volt bulbs and hence be cheaper to run. I am not an electrician but as I see it they both use the same 0.2 KW/h,also a tiny bit of enegy must be lost through the 12 volts transformer.
would someone please explain which is correct.
thanks for a great guys its realy interesting

Sponsored Links
You are correct and you have been told total cr*p. 50watts is 50 watts.
4 times 50 watts is 200 watts.
The same amount of electricity (more or less) is consumed irrespective of the supply voltage. The only way to save electricity is to have less lamps = less watts or to use energy efficient lamps which produce more light for less power.

TTC

thanks Taylotwocities ,might save a bit of lece if I turned of computor and lights and got some sleep-----thanks again

There is some truth in the statement that 12v lighting uses less power than 230volt mains lighting.

12volt lighting is more efficient than 230volt.

technically 12volt produces more lumens per watt.

For a fixed amount of light needed you get the same amount from smaller (lower wattage) 12volt fittings.

so (tho not exactly numerically accurate in lumen terms) 4 x 12volt 35watt units could give the about the same amount of light as 4 x 230volt 50 watt fittings.

(tho transformers are not 100% efficient so use some energy as well)

replacing 4 mains 50 watt lights with 4 of 12volt 35 watt fittings is often similar light output for a small saving in energy.

Where large numbers of units are needed (ie commercial) 12 volt systems can lead to reasonable savings. (tho up front costs are higher)

Sponsored Links
But, in my experience, people change a single 60W pendant fitting for 4 x 50w downlights. So, maybe, the halogen produces slightly more lumens per watt but the light is much more directional so folk have lots more.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back