12 volt downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a set of 4 12 volt halogen downlighters that came with transformer and wire but there is only about 18 inches between each terminal. Can I extend each wire by say, 12 inches to acheive reasonable spacing of the lights. Is the length of cable that critical? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've got a set of 4 12 volt halogen downlighters that came with transformer and wire but there is only about 18 inches between each terminal. Can I extend each wire by say, 12 inches to acheive reasonable spacing of the lights. Is the length of cable that critical? Thanks.
I bet it has a nasty wirewound transformer, one of those rectangular long ones similar to an electronic fluoro ballast. I had two of them, from B&Q, both failed after about a year, their plastic casing had cracked and the laminated core had started to peel apart under the heat.

Sponsored Links
When extending the cable, bear in mind a 12V 50W lamp draws over 4 Amps. If there is one cable supplying four lamps, you will need cable capable of carrying over 16 Amps.

If the OP is in England or Wales the installation of these lights is notifiable.

What most people have forgotten is that you can only install extra low voltage lighting in rooms (outside special locations -like kitchens & bathrooms) if they are CE marked sets.

All other ELV lighting installations ARE notifiable. They count as special installations, like garden lighting, or PV systems. See page 8 table 2 of the dreaded P doc.

If the set the OP has is CE marked then he can install it without notification.

If he chops it up and adds bits of cable then it is no longer CE marked and the work is notifiable.

Isn't that right, BAS??

That's right.

You can see the reasoning - ELV lighting cables carry much larger currents than LV ones, so the potential for overheating is greater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back