120mm Joists - Fit 100mm or 150mm insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft is boarded over but with no insulation underneath. I plan on lifting the floorboards, fitting insulations and refitting the floorboards. The joist height is 120mm. Obviously I could install 100mm of insulation, but is there any benefit in installing 150mm insulation and compressing it down to 120mm. Will I get better or worse insulation than installing 100mm?

Sponsored Links
Fit Like Min.

Recommended insulation depth for lofts now is 250mm. Obviously your not going to be able to do that but I don't think you would notice any difference between 100 and 150 squashed down to 120. Insulation is best left "loose" as it relies on trapping air to retain the heat so if you compress it down you lose some of the available airspace. A combination of whatever thickness you can fit under the floor and running insulation up between the rafters might do the trick.

HTH

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back