125 volt AC how come ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm in the process of replacing a bedroom light. I didn't install the wiring so I don't know if it is correct or not. There are about six wires connected into a terminal block mounted in the rose. Whilst the ceiling fitment is disconnected Son in Law paints ceiling and knocks out a loose wire from the terminal block he is absolutely certain he knows which terminal it came out of. I then use my Fluke digital meter to check the voltages at the terminals with wires still inserted and .I get the following L to N = 240 volt, L to E =240 volt, N to E = 0v. Howerver measuring L to the loose wire I get 123 volts. I don't know where this wire comes from, I connected it back to terminal where Son in Law says it came out of and nothing blows. Connect in new fitment everything works fine but where did I get the 125 vac from.
Mal Function

Sponsored Links
Sounds like capacitive coupling - the voltage is there but there is next to no current behind it. As soon as you put a lamp in the voltage will collapse, only really an issue with some energy saving lamps where you end up with them flashing once every so often.

What colour was this wire?

Which terminal did he think it was in?

Which terminal did it get put back into?

Sponsored Links
Hi
The wire concerned was red
I put it back into the terminal he said it came out of. No fuses blown. Wired replacement ceiling lamp to the same terminals as the original came out of. Switched on lamp, no fuses blown, everything seems fine. I was just concerned that the previous householder had incorrectly wired up the light circuits because I couldn't understand how I could get 125vac. I once found 2 cables joined using a terminal block only,no jointing box t hid behind half a brick in a single brick wall and plastered over in the same house.
Mal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back