12mm crack in room above new RSJ

LOL ... here we go again Tony!

Tony and I had this debate previously and my take on it is that whilst beams may deflect under load, the whole point of the deflection check calculation, is to ensure that the beam does not deflect to such an extent, so that finishes crack ... let alone the actual wall moving

I'd certainly not agree with that BCO in that he "allows" deflection of 15mm ... that is 15mm of cracked plaster, 15mm of dropped skirtings, 15mm of creaky floors, 15mm of jammed shut windows, 15mm of leaking joints around windows etc. Complete nonsense.

IMO that beam is either undersized - as it is deflecting too much, or its not been put in properly

Either way cracking above this beam is not satisfactory

Sponsored Links
I design for span/360 maximum (dead and imposed) where a beam carries existing masonry, less if the span is long or there are openings above.

It seems to me that building control all too often turn a blind eye to obvious defects and cutting of corners.

Some questions:
1. What size is the beam?
2. Is it well packed with mortar between top of beam and underside of masonry?
3. Are there pad stones? If so, are they well bedded on mortar.
4. Was the mortar set before acros were removed?

Someone has made a mistake here, be it the designer or the builder.
Your house is not about to fall down, and the cracks hopefully won't get any worse, but the BRE recommends toothing in new brickwork when cracks exceed 10mm.

Sponsored Links
LOL ... here we go again Tony!

Tony and I had this debate previously and my take on it is that whilst beams may deflect under load, the whole point of the deflection check calculation, is to ensure that the beam does not deflect to such an extent, so that finishes crack ... let alone the actual wall moving

I'd certainly not agree with that BCO in that he "allows" deflection of 15mm ... that is 15mm of cracked plaster, 15mm of dropped skirtings, 15mm of creaky floors, 15mm of jammed shut windows, 15mm of leaking joints around windows etc. Complete nonsense.

IMO that beam is either undersized - as it is deflecting too much, or its not been put in properly

Either way cracking above this beam is not satisfactory
Agreed.. deflection design should suit the purpose of the building not just the code..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back