12v solenoid

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, have just bought a roll of wire from maplins, so will have a go as soon as i get chance (nothing to lose really) Space Cat mentions a special technique for winding, is this very important ? is it to do with current flow, or heat disipation through the coil ? Am i right in thinking that one end of the coil winding goes to earth through the metal case ? Finally the old coil was covered in a sort of rubberised plastic (poor description) is this just for insulation or a sort of heat sink? Thanks

Space Cat mentions a special technique for winding, is this very important ?

If you mean the technique of winding yourself towards an anchorage point, that's not important. It's just easier that way. Trying to do it with the coil in one hand and a loose wire in the other is a mugs game.

What is important is to get the turns lying evenly in layers. If you wind them on at random you'll end up with insufficient turns. You might get the same number of amp turns because the resistance will be lower but you'll have more heat.

That bit about jumping grooves isn't a trick but a necessity. Wires in alternate layers cannot lie entirely within the grooves formed by the wires below. You'll see this when you try it. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Am i right in thinking that one end of the coil winding goes to earth through the metal case ?

If you have only one wire on the old coil then this is likely. It's common practice in automotive electrics to use the chassis as a connection. You can find out for sure by unwinding the old coil. If the other end is connected to the bobbin it will simplify the job because you'll have an anchor point for the start of your first layer.

Finally the old coil was covered in a sort of rubberised plastic (poor description) is this just for insulation or a sort of heat sink?

It's for insulation and mechanical protection. It could never be a heat sink. On the contrary, it will tend to trap heat - so don't overdo it! ;) ;) ;)

Am i right in thinking that one end of the coil winding goes to earth through the metal case ?
This is when re-winding a coil gets annoying..... You strip off miles of perfectly good wire just to find the fault was the earth connection under the windings has come loose :evil:

Finally the old coil was covered in a sort of rubberised plastic (poor description) is this just for insulation or a sort of heat sink?
more likely just a bit of heatshrink tubing just to hold everything together.

Space cat - That should be Ampere turns, not Amps per turn shouldn't it?
(magnetic field is proportional to the current multiplied by the number of turns)

Sponsored Links
the only thing i'd worry about is if it is driven by any form of electronics such as a transistor for instance and the coil doesnt electrically match the original that the component may get damaged.

The solenoid is off a 1983 tractor, there are no electronics just a 12v supply from a rocker switch on the dash it operates the "dual power" a means of doubling the amout of gears, the worst that can happen if it fails is that the tractor changes down 1 gear, so i think its worth a try especially if i can save £300+

Given it's function, I would take a guess it's probably very similar, if not identical to the solenoids that operated borg warner and similar overdrive units on cars of that era. They had a solenoid about the size of a soup tin sticking out the side of the transmission. It certainly sounds like it is doing the same job as an overdrive unit, so maybe a car scrapyard could yield a solenoid.

Some commercial vehicles have a 2-speed axle controlled by a similar solenoid too.

Thanks for the suggestion Tickly T, i've seen the sort of solenoids you mention, but they are much to big, this one is about the size of a standard cotton reel, it fits in an internal position in the bellhousing

The solenoid is off a 1983 tractor, there are no electronics just a 12v supply from a rocker switch on the dash it operates the "dual power" a means of doubling the amout of gears, the worst that can happen if it fails is that the tractor changes down 1 gear, so i think its worth a try especially if i can save £300+
In that case wouldnt any heavy duty solenoid off the shelf do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back