12v Wiring behind wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

What are my options to run 2 x 12v wires across the gap where my cooker is ? Situation as follows:

Power and transformers are on the RHS of the cooker(hidden under a wall shelf), and I need to run following to the LHS.

Under unit light: 1 x 35w halogen with pre-fitted wire (approx 1.5m). This will just reach the transformer if I route in a straight horizontal line from under the LHS unit - about 450mm up from work surface.

30cm strip of 5050 LED tape light: this uses flat 4 core wire (WRGB) which I have several meters of, and needs to get across the same cooker gap at the same height.

Both wires are from separate dedicated 12v transformers (supplied with the lights).

The area under the units and splashback behind the cooker will be tiled with ceramic tiles.
Am I OK to cut a small channel in the plasterboard (about 3mm deep by 10mm wide), cover with drywall tape and tile over ? Length of wires in channel will be about 700mm.

Anyone have any more elegant (or safer) solutions ? Do I need conduit for example ?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back