13a plug instead of D/pole switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than fit double pole switches for the cooker hood and the central heating plinth heater our kitchen fitter has suggested using 'normal' 13a plugs utilising a existing double sockets.
Is this acceptable? both of the sockets are easily accessible by removing the plinth.

Sponsored Links
What output is the under plinth heater? is it directly connected to a wet central heating thus only needs fan settings for electrical power?
If so then only likely needs 5A
The cooker hood will not require a 13A fuse, likely a 3a or 5a would deal with it.
So as far as demand nothing really unsafe about it!

I personally would not have the hood or under plinth heating isolated by a socket/plug set up, nor would I have them in difficult locations to access.

What are feelings about it?

Last edited:
Yes it is wet central heating, I don't know what fuses are proposed but I think it's just a shortcut by our fitter rather than fit the switches we've got.
I thought he'd come off the ring at the sockets and go from there.

Well that is what you should ask for.
is your kitchen fitter electrically skilled to perform these tasks, as not all are?
If not, then i recommended that one is sourced that can undertake the electrical work in compliance to the regulations.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back