Baumatic Electric Oven: 13a double pole switched fused outle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My new Baumatic oven came with instructions saying it requires a 13a double pole switched fused outlet.

I assume that it is safe to whack on a 13amp plug and plug it into the 13amp switched socket which is on the same panel as a 45a cooker control unit and wired to my consumer unit. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Would it be better to wire it directly to the cooker control unit and change that fuse from 45a to 13a. Can't see the difference?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
given that they don't generally do 13A breaker or fuse wire ( you watch someone prove me wrong now... I now they make 13A breakers but they're not normal everyday ones and are not readily available, you can special order them ), the best bet is to just put a socket outlet in place of the cooker connection unit and plug it in.. ( MK ones should take a 10mm cable? )
nothing wrong with plugging it in the socket on the switch either, besides the tackyness factor that is..
I take it that the cooker connection unit is not already attatched to a hob or anything if you're cotemplating downsizing the fuse?

given that they don't generally do 13A breaker or fuse wire ( you watch someone prove me wrong now... I now they make 13A breakers but they're not normal everyday ones and are not readily available, you can special order them ), the best bet is to just put a socket outlet in place of the cooker connection unit and plug it in.. ( MK ones should take a 10mm cable? )
nothing wrong with plugging it in the socket on the switch either, besides the tackyness factor that is..
I take it that the cooker connection unit is not already attatched to a hob or anything if you're cotemplating downsizing the fuse?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me.

There is nothing connected to the cooker unit. Am not sure why I need to replace the cooker connection unit or what you mean by tackyness. Please can you clarify?

If you mean aesthetics then that's not a problem here as the cooker control is hidden from view!

Also, I already have standard double socket next to cooker control which is free too.

So, to recap, you're saying it's not a problem to stick a 13a plug on the end of the wires and to plug the oven into the socket on the cooker control or even into a normal socket. Is that right?

Thanks again -

The hob is gas and so no issue with it.

The cooker

tackyness:- a cable drilled through a worksurface and plugged in.

changing the cooker connection unit allows you to plug the oven in and not mess in the fuseboard changing the fuse ratings.. the fuse in the plug deals with protecting the smaller cable connected to the oven.

cooker controls should not be hidden from view, it's there for a reason ( although not if the cooker isn't connected to it )

Sponsored Links
tackyness:- a cable drilled through a worksurface and plugged in.

changing the cooker connection unit allows you to plug the oven in and not mess in the fuseboard changing the fuse ratings.. the fuse in the plug deals with protecting the smaller cable connected to the oven.

cooker controls should not be hidden from view, it's there for a reason ( although not if the cooker isn't connected to it )

Thanks ColJack. My oven is built in and the cooker connection unit and a double plug socket are on the wall hidden behind a set of built in drawers (without a backing) which is adjacent to the oven housing.

I dont think I have to mess about changing the fuse ratings as the cooker connection unit sports a 13amp plug socket so I have simply added a 13amp plug to my oven and plugged it into the 13amp socket on the cooker connection unit. Am I missing something or doing something wrong here?

Thanks again

........cooker controls should not be hidden from view, it's there for a reason ( although not if the cooker isn't connected to it )
It's still a good idea to be able to see it, even if it isn't used, if it identifies a safe zone for cables.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=185466[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tickly T. It's not totally hidden as it's behind some removable drawers and would be readily spotted since the other plug sockets for my dishwasher, washing and drying machines are all located along this wall (i.e. beneath work surfaces and behind appliances/cupboards)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back