13x7 ft Concrete Shed Base over Tree Roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have three trees two small where the trunk is 2 inches and one medium tree which had a trunk of 4 inches. All three trees have been cut and root taken out as much as possible.

I am planning to lay a 4 inch concrete base for a wooded shed.

Should I be concern with the roots of the trees, should they all be taken out of the grown completely before I lay the shed base?

Sponsored Links
The right answer is take them out and do it correctly, you are going to all the effort of laying a concrete base it would be a shame to do anything less … concrete does not stick to wood and that area will always be a week point especially in frost.

If you chose to leave them I’d definitely put some rebar mesh in there

It would be a good idea to drill half way into the roots in numerous places and top up the holes with strong weed or root killer such as ...

and as they are relatively small roots they should not give you much resistance.

Thank you. I wish I had six weeks to let this work, but we have the shed being delivered in 2 weeks. Most of the roots are out and the tree stump has been taken out.

Sponsored Links
The right answer is take them out and do it correctly, you are going to all the effort of laying a concrete base it would be a shame to do anything less … concrete does not stick to wood and that area will always be a week point especially in frost.

If you chose to leave them I’d definitely put some rebar mesh in there

I was thinking of putting down a mix of MOT before laying the base. With the idea of taking out as much as possible.

For your base you need to dig down, always use type 1 when laying abase .. if it was me I’d be looking at 100mm of type1 , a layer of sharp sand and dpm ontop of that then poorhouse base … glad to hear the stumps out !

What sort of mix should it be 5:1. I have read I should be using ballast (some say 10mm and some say 20mm)

Sorry what is a 'poorhouse base'?

Spell check ! Pour the base

I always use 20mm lime stone type 1

6:1 or 5:1 is adequate for a base 5 ballast : 1 cement … I always do my measuring for ballast in buckets… In my belle I can fit three black builders buckets which for me related to 12 shovels of ballast
Which is your 6:1 x2 obviously you will need two shovels of cement lol

Last edited:
Thanks.

Do you think I should consider using ready mix, I need a base to be 13 X 7ft and was going to go with 3 inc type 1 and 3 inc concrete.

Ready mix is more expensive and you have to consider access for the ready mix or hire a pump off them, mixing it yourself is harder work but a lot cheaper… doing like a shed base I’d just mix myself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back