estimating size of tree roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there any rough guide to estimating the size of tree roots underground. by that i mean depth, spread and amount. There are a few small/medium sized apple and pear trees at the back of the garden and I was wondering if there was a way to gauge the amount of roots they would have, by tree height or trunk width etc.
Also is it possible to successfully transplant a fruit tree (approx 3m high and wide) without it suffering, or come to that me suffering in the process.

Sponsored Links
difficult to say, until you dig. depends on so many factors, type of tree, soil water, age etc etc.

yes you could try and move a fruit tree of that size, but it will need a good sized rootball to have any real chance of surviving. youre possibly looking at a lot of digging and people to move it or a machine. i wouldnt leave it much longer either

we did a large cordyline in october about 4 metres high. luckily the roots dont spread far so it had a relativly small rootball. it still took 5 of us and some wheels to move it. its the manouvering in and out of the hole thats the hard bit. Its taken well, but the hole needs good preperation and plenty of water before and after.

The golden rule is that they are always bigger, and there are more of them, than you expect.

They will probably add up to about 1 1/2 times the area of the trunk.

1 1/2 times the area of the trunk.

what do you mean by area of the trunk? surely not the diameter, as that would be too small. Do you mean spread of the branches?

If some of the roots were too long, could I not trim them?

Sponsored Links
I was considering moving a conifer and read somewhere that for every inch in the diameter of the trunk add a foot for the size of the root ball.

The conifer I was eyeing up had a 3 inch thick trunk. If this equates to a root ball 3 foot in diameter it could be hard work.

I don't know if this sizing calculation is a general rule that applies to all trees with a root ball or if it is just for conifers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back