150mm bathroom extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a bathroom on the ground floor that has - I think - a standard 100mm extractor fan. To try and keep the stink down - you know how it is - I was wondering about a 150mm fan? Most seem to be for kitchens. Its not a huge bathroom (about 2.5*2.5*2.5) but I figure it would be much higher air flow and probably quieter. Was thinking maybe this:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50632...or-Fans/Low-Profile-Extractor-Fan-White-150mm

Current one is wired to the bathroom light and is only on when the light is on. Because the bathroom window does not open we tend to leave the fan on alot.

How would you go about cutting the hole - over the existing one in the wall - and does this sound like a good plan?

Cheers!

:)

Sponsored Links
I was wondering about a 150mm fan? Most seem to be for kitchens.
As long as it's IPx4...

Manrose do a range of SELV fans - you could go bigger than 150mm if you wanted.

Current one is wired to the bathroom light and is only on when the light is on. Because the bathroom window does not open we tend to leave the fan on alot.
The timer one you've chosen will sort that problem. Just have to retrain people to turn the light off...

How would you go about cutting the hole - over the existing one in the wall - and does this sound like a good plan?
Not owning a core drill (not sure how well one would work to enlarge an existing hole anyway) I'd stitch drill round it then reach for the cold chisel and club hammer....

Plan B if you want to move the fan anyway - dunno if it would work, but it seems like an idea: hire a 150mm & 100mm core drill, cut the 150mm hole for the new fan, then use the 100mm on the plug you removed, and use that to fill in the old hole...

heh b-a-s, great idea if I wanted to move the fan :)

The tiles are marble would a core drill bit get through that? Maybe you can hire an SDS arbor and core bit? Save drilling 20 holes and getting jiggy with the lump hammer...

Cheers!

:)

Sponsored Links
You might need to plug the 100mm hole first, to support the pilot bit of the core drill, until it has bitten far enough to support itself.
Maybe just tightly wedge a couple of dog-ends of 4X2 or similar in the hole, and knock them out again when the core drill has started.

Thing about extractor fans is you need a vent to allow air into the room as well as the fan, otherwise even the most powerful fan will fail to extract much.

You might need to plug the 100mm hole first, to support the pilot bit of the core drill, until it has bitten far enough to support itself.
Maybe just tightly wedge a couple of dog-ends of 4X2 or similar in the hole, and knock them out again when the core drill has started.

Thing about extractor fans is you need a vent to allow air into the room as well as the fan, otherwise even the most powerful fan will fail to extract much.

!! Do you think it might be worth trying a vent in the bathroom door first??

:eek:

edit: I guess that might be worth a try before going for major surgery! :D

Seen the chaps from Marquist doing core drilling without a pilot bit, not even to start off with.

Not sure I'd try it myself or reccomend it!

sometimes you can fit a 150mm fan and still use the 100mm hole if the wall is solid
you would only need about 40mm chopped out for the 150mm fan to seat in then render up inside the hole to taper to 100mm

You can also get a made up 150mm to100mm reducer if you wanted to line the hole

Have you looked at different 100mm fans
sometimes centrifugal ones are more powerful than the axial fans, although cosmetically they are bigger

!! Do you think it might be worth trying a vent in the bathroom door first??

:eek:

edit: I guess that might be worth a try before going for major surgery! :D

Depending if privacy is an issue, you could experiment with wedging the door open about an inch.

A 4mm clear gap down one side of the average door would give the equivalent ventilation area of a 100mm diameter vent. A 9mm gap would be equivalent of a 150mm diameter vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back