extractor fan installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering installing an extractor fan in the bathroom.

The product I am thinking of is Manrose 100mm Bathroom Extractor Fan. The brief details are: (45dBA) Extract Rate 85m³/hr, 100mm Spigot, 15W Max 40ºC.

Our bathroom size: 3m x 1.5m x 3m and the bath is fitted with a thermostatic mixer shower.

If the extractor fan is suitable for our needs, does it need to be connected to the existing pull cord light switch and what is the correct cable size for the fan?

Sponsored Links
bb48 said:
If the extractor fan is suitable for our needs, does it need to be connected to the existing pull cord light switch
If you want it to come on whenever the light is turned on, and not come on if someone uses the shower without turning the light on, then yes.

and what is the correct cable size for the fan?
The same size as the rest of the lighting circuit.

Don't forget to notify LABC if you live in England or Wales...

Also you will need to install an all - poles isolator switch, and depending on where in the bathroom you fit the fan, you may need to fit a SELV fand, rather than a mains one.

Please explain the alternative methods for the connection to get the fan working, for example when having a shower without turning on the light.

In addition, where do I find the address for LABC?

I like the idea of the isolator switch as suggested by RF Lighting.

The fan wall is at the far end of the bathroom, 3 meters away from the shower head and about 500mm away to the top right of the window.

What is a SELV fand? Please explain the circumstances when it is required.

Sponsored Links
A SELV fan is a fan which runs on an extra low voltage (i.e. 12v) supplied from a safety isolating transformer, if the fan was to be installed within the shower cubicle then a SELV fan will almost certainly be required; for general bathroom zone requirements see: http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/NL139supp.pdf
Some of the ways of installing the fan are to run it on its own leg from the lighting circuit providing its own switch, same way as if you were installing another light on its own switch. If the fan is not timed run on you may install it on a double pole pullcord and use this for both turning it on/off and isolation.
You may also install a separate isolator switch as RF says (note isolator needs to be in zone 3 or outside zones) and use a separate pullcord, this method is OK for timed run-on fans too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back