Inline Bathroom Fan - Notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to install an inline fan with a light in a bathroom. This is the fan

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-s...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN-dkIPntdQCFXgw0wodCb0BKg

It is a Manrose shower light and extractor fan kit.

The light is the only part of the installation physically in the bathroom (in the ceiling 2.6m off the floor).

The light is powered by a SELV transformer in the loft, the fan itself is main powered but entirely in the loft.

As all the wiring is in the loft, is this notifiable under Part P.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes it is RCD protected in the consumer unit.

I also need to connect to the bathroom light switch and feed off of an existing light. It's a bit tight in the ceiling rose, as there are already three cables in the rose as is is not the last light in the chain. Am I better off cutting into the cable to that light and using a junction box to draw power?

Cheers

G

I also need to connect to the bathroom light switch and feed off of an existing light. It's a bit tight in the ceiling rose, as there are already three cables in the rose as is is not the last light in the chain. Am I better off cutting into the cable to that light and using a junction box to draw power?
Well, I wouldn't. Four cables in a rose is nothing.

If you redo it neatly it will be fine - mark all the wires first.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, for the connection to the exising switch, should I use a jb? I thought if I connected to the ceiling rose in the bathroom, I would then make this notifiable.

Cheers/Obrigado

G

for the connection to the exising switch, should I use a jb?
No, (or probably not) usually the connections can all be made at the rose.
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:fan

If it is wired I thought if I connected to the ceiling rose in the bathroom, I would then make this notifiable.
Not if the ceiling is 2.6m. high, as you say. I thought that was why you mentioned it.
Notifiable if under 2.25m. depending on how you decipher the regulation.

De nada. :)

The lampholders in product linked are not that good, gone to a few in the past and lamps don't make good contact. Replacing the lampholder in this are a pain in the hole.

As all the wiring is in the loft, is this notifiable under Part P.
NO.​

Notification doesn't actually come under Part P.
MisterG - please note that this distinction is not pedantry.

This is Part P:

Part P does apply to this work - it applies to all work. It may not be notifiable, but you are still required to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of it in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation in your house from fire or injury.

Thanks, I think I have catered/will cater for the above in the design/install.

- Had lights rewired about 8 years ago & new CU, still looks in good condition
- No unecessary joins.
- Cables surface mounted
- Using 1.5mm cable to cater for any potential derating as some of the cable runs on top insulation
- All cables clipped where appropriate
- All JBs (there is just one) accessible for maintenance.
- Will avoid kinks when installing the cables.
- Will avoid nicking the brow/blue sleeving on the wires weh stripping the grey insulation.
- Fitting with a 3amp switched FCU as per manufacturers instructions (I know some people don't bother and just fit a 3 pole fan isolator). Replaced the 13Amp fuse with a 3amp one.
- Brown tape for the switched live.
- Earth wires all sleeved with yellow/green sleeving
- using 4 core flex for the fan rather that borrowing the earth wire from a 3 core flex (Fan has no Earth connection). Using 1.5mm as manufacture said min 1.0mm

Anything else I need to consider?

Also, anything coming up in the future I should consider to future proof? I believe the draft 18th edition of the wiring regs is out and the final draft is imminent.

Cheers

G

Last edited:
Also, anything coming up in the future I should consider to future proof?
No. What happens in the future has no relevance to things installed today.

The rest is ok, and 1mm cable will be plenty even if under insulation.
If you must fit a 3A FCU, then the lights will have to be connected via that as well.
Personally I would not bother with the FCU.

- Fitting with a 3amp switched FCU as per manufacturers instructions (I know some people don't bother and just fit a 3 pole fan isolator).

Anything else I need to consider?

Yes. Although you can consider manufacturers instructions, you don't have to blindly follow them, especially when they are wrong. FCUs are not intended to be fitted to lighting circuits. A 3 amp cartridge fuse will have no discrimination with a 6amp MCB, so completely pointless fitting one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back