Pullcord or switch outside bathroom for extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Is there any difference in choosing between a pull cord inside the bathroom or switch outside?

Im planning to install this extractor fan in the loft - inlet on the bathroom ceiling:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-chrome-white-25w-in-line-centrifugal-shower-fan-kit/41379

I have read its better to connect to the bathroom lighting - so will go on everytime you turn the lights on. But Ive read its still good to have a separate swtich for it. What would you advice?

Sponsored Links
I take it you have read the instructions for this fan because the question you have asked has already been answered.
You do realise this is a timer over run model and you will need to incorporate 3amp fused dual pole isolator into the circuit and possibly a three pole isolator as well.
This will involve using twin and earth and three core and earth cables.
If none of this makes any sense to you perhaps you need to get someone (an electrician) in to help with this project

Hiya. Yes most doesn't make sense. I've got an electrician doing the actual work, but Im getting the parts. I still need to know if a pullcord is good idea.
Mainly to turn off the fan for night time?
Or just the switch outside. Hope my question makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Hiya. Yes most doesn't make sense. I've got an electrician doing the actual work, but Im getting the parts. I still need to know if a pullcord is good idea.
Mainly to turn off the fan for night time?
Or just the switch outside. Hope my question makes sense.
Inside the bathroom pull cord - outside the bathroom wall switch or switched fused connection unit.
It is normal to have the fan linked to the lights - but I always provide a means of isolating the fan both to clean it and when it gets annoying.
Your electrician will know how to wire this in for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back