New bathroom extractor fan and light switch

A motor can fail in a mode which takes far more current than it normal operating currrent. Without a 3 amp fuse in the fan supply that over current will take out the fuse / MCB for the lighting circuit and thus put all the lights out.

When the fan is taking too much current ( fault or stalled rotor ) the 3 amp fuse will ( at least should ) blow before the 6 amp fuse / MCB protecting the lighting circuit and thus lights will still work.

Maybe but as I said the fuse is to protect the cable. Any protection for the fan motor must be provided internally by the manufacturer. It is quite likely these are sold in other countries where FCUs are non compliment and unavailable and where lighting is protected by a 16 amp MCB. Manufacturers MUST provide internal protection, probably a heat detector.

Sponsored Links
Maybe but as I said the fuse is to protect the cable. Any protection for the fan motor must be provided internally by the manufacturer. It is quite likely these are sold in other countries where FCUs are non compliment and unavailable and where lighting is protected by a 16 amp MCB. Manufacturers MUST provide internal protection, probably a heat detector.
I agree - but, in any event, as I have described above, my experiment appears to have confirmed my gut-feeling that even a stalled fan motor (of a standard kitchen/bathroom extractor fan) draws so little current that any fuse (or other OPD), whether within the fan or external to it, would be both totally unnecessary and totally useless for addressing that possible scenario.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, the isolator is only there for when the fan requires maintenance such as cleaning.
... or to enable it to be isolated (so that some, maybe half, the house doesn't have to remain without power until it is mended) in the (very unusual) event that something happens to it which causes an RCD or MCB to trip (make sure that you have a torch to hand if the isolator is in the loft :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
my gut-feeling that even a stalled fan motor (of a standard kitchen/bathroom extractor fan) draws so little current that any fuse (or other OPD), whether within the fan or external to it, would be both totally unnecessary and totally useless for addressing that possible scenario.
Running normally with a supply of about 240V it draws 90.5 mA (i.e. about 21.7W at 240wV). With the rotor jammed, the current rises just slightly to 105.2 mA. Perhaps even less rise than I had expected, but certainly very little.

When stalled there is no air flow to cool the fan and the 20 watts now confined in the motor will result in the coils and cores heating up. This could easily lead to breakdown of insulation in the windings, shorted turns, reduced inpedance and increasing current to the point that the coil eventually burns out, short circuits and takes out t the smallest fuse in the supply.

Will a 3A BS 1362 operate before a B6? What do the time-current curves, discrimination guidance, etc say?

Electrically there is no reason for the 3A fuse, it's just something that some fan manufacturers put in the instructions for reasons known only to them.
And they'll keep on doing it until seriously challenged over it.

I'd suggest the OP writes to them asking why they have made a product so flaky that it needs to rely on the external circuit protection for it to be safe to use, and to ask if he can obtain the version which they sell in countries where FCUs do not exist and it simply is not possible to provide 3A fuse protection.

When stalled there is no air flow to cool the fan and the 20 watts now confined in the motor will result in the coils and cores heating up. This could easily lead to breakdown of insulation in the windings, shorted turns, reduced inpedance and increasing current to the point that the coil eventually burns out, short circuits ...
Not impossible, but I would suspect fairly unlikely. Don't forget that, despite what I wrote, we're actually talking about ~20 VA, so the amount dissipated in the winding could be a lot less than 20W ... which itself is not all that much.
... and takes out t the smallest fuse in the supply.
If the process you described occurred, it would presumably result in a true 'fault' (of 'negligible impedance') suddenly appearing at some point (not a gradual increase in current). If that happened, it is pot luck as to whether the 6A MCB or 3A fuse would operate first - and, even if there were not a 3A fuse, the MCB would (if the circuit were properly designed) operate 'immediately'.

Kind Regards, John

Will a 3A BS 1362 operate before a B6? What do the time-current curves, discrimination guidance, etc say?
As I've just written, the series of theoretically possible events that Bernard described would presumably eventually result in a 'fault of negligible impedance' suddenly appearing (not a gradual increase in current). In that situation, both the fuse and MCB should (given satisfactory Zs) operate 'immediately' - so it's pot luck as to which (or both) would operate first. Even without the 3A fuse, the B6 should operate 'immediately' in that situation.

Kind Regards, John

'fault of negligible impedance' suddenly appearing (not a gradual increase in current)
Just the opposite. as the motor windings dis-integrate the current ramps up over a period of time. At first with one or two shorted turns the increase is small but as more and more insulation fails the number of shorted turns increases and the current increases. At the end the current increases rapidly but still slow enough for a 3 amp device to trip before a 6 amp device trips

So I wonder how such an appliance is made safe to use in countries where a 3A fuse simply cannot be provided?

Just the opposite. as the motor windings dis-integrate the current ramps up over a period of time. At first with one or two shorted turns the increase is small but as more and more insulation fails the number of shorted turns increases and the current increases.
For a start, as I've said, I'm far from convinced that any windings would "disintegrate" with whatever power dissipation that ~20 VA represents (you may even entice me to 'do the experiment' if I can find a fan that I wouldn't mind destroying!). However, in any event ....
... At the end the current increases rapidly but still slow enough for a 3 amp device to trip before a 6 amp device trips
IF one ever did get to the stage of that 'rapid increase' in current, then I doubt that the difference in time taken for a 3A fuse and a B6 to operate would be particularly significant! Don't forget that a current less than about 5.8A will not blow a 3A BS1362 ever.

Kind Regards, John

(you may even entice me to 'do the experiment' if I can find a fan that I wouldn't mind destroying!)
I thought about suggesting that.

You'd need to simulate the environment of a fan mounted in a wall (leaving it in free air would increase heat dissipation), and you'd have to make it a safe area in which it could catch fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back