15cm gap at end of bath - how to build a shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have just joined this forum and am a DIY novice, so please go easy on me :)

I have a 15 cm gap at the end of my bath which was filled with a wooden shelf with tiles on top. Unfortunately water got in, the shelf drooped and the tiles came away.

What would be the best way to redo it to reduce the chance of it happening again?

Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
timber frame needs to be 140mm above end of bath so you have vertical tiled surface to seal too.
Ideally strong enough to stand on, clad with wedi board and then tiled.Run frame to floor for support, ideally 4x2.

Thanks.

The old one was level with the end of the bath, hence it was easy for water to get in. So if it is 140mm above, the water wont run over the top so easily will it?

And would you fix the frame to the wall?

Thats the idea, the 140mm will allow you to cut a tile to correct size, unit should be siliconed to bath before and after tiling.
I would make a box frame [4x2]to slide down the end of the bath, fix to wall above bath and below [probably only have room to put one fixing at the front below without moving bath.]
Very important it is very stable any movement will cause gaps and leakage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot.

Only slight problem is that the the floor in the gap is only part boarded.

I guess I could screw it to the floorboards where possible and then to the wall, which should make it pretty stable.

I might give it a go.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back