15mm to 15mm straight through coupler with male connections?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to change the radiator in the room I'm decorating. The pipe to the old radiator was 10mm microbore. I mistakenly bought 15mm valves for the new radiator.

No problem, I thought... so I bought a 15mm to 10mm compression coupling.

However, when I looked at fitting it I realised that I had two 'females' and needed something to join them.

I could get some pipe and use compression fittings to join the two bits but would rather not do this because of the length.

I could also drain the system and then cut the pipe and use a 'reducing set' (only found out about these after all this hassle) but I would rather not cut the pipe/drain the system etc as this is a bit out of my comfort zone.

So.. does anyone know if there's such a thing as a kind of 'back to back' male connector (15mm) ? I've tried looking on the Homebase and B&Q website to no avail.

I've attached a few pics to hopefully illustrate my problem.

Many thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Cheers

John :)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How about calling a pro around and let them do the job quickly and accurately? :idea: Will cost you less than you think.

How about calling a pro around and let them do the job quickly and accurately? :idea: Will cost you less than you think.

Cause the unsuspecting general public can't know if they'll get a fully qualified time-served real Plumber or a course cowboy/career change chancer.

Richardthe3rd, you are correct on all points. I didn't bother with a "fully qualified" plumber as I thought that replacing a radiator shouldn't be much of a problem. I've swapped valves and capped radiators before so (naively) thought this would be just as simple. And it would be simple if it wasn't for this microbore issue.

You are also correct that getting a reducing set would be the way to go but it is just the draining the system and cutting the pipe that is putting me off. Although I think I will probably end up doing this.

Leaks, I should really just get 10mm valves but the thermostatic valve cost me £14, plus another £3.50 for the other end. I appreciate that to some people this is chicken feed but, unfortunately at the moment, to me it's not. So really wanted to utilise these valves if possible.

bazdaman, why do you say take the PTFE tape off the threads?? I was always under the impression that you put this on every joint. It even says this in the fitting instructions for the radiator (put 2 or 3 winds of PTFE tape on the threads) ??

Dextraneous, you have a fair point but I'm thinking I won't have much change out of £80 if I get a 'pro' to do it. Hence me having a go myself. Plus, I have another room to decorate after this so learning a bit more about this work will certainly do no harm.

Thanks for all your help so far everyone. Very much appreciated.

By the way, Richardthe3rd, I'm actually a Lancastrian born and bred. Just found myself in Fife through the amblings of life's road. Have very easily taken to their penny-pinching ways though! :)

So... there's still the question of PTFE tape or not?
Also, am I right in deducing from the answers so far that there isn't such a thing as a back-to-back male connector that could just connect these two things?

Cheers

The instructions will mean the thread of the tail that goes into rad, the thread that you have put it on does NOT make a seal so has no purpose other than to tell someone who works on it after you that you are a wally!

Cause the unsuspecting general public can't know if they'll get a fully qualified time-served real Plumber or a course cowboy/career change chancer.
So how could one ever be sure?

One could always ask; With whom did you serve your time & can you please bring your indentured apprenticeship papers with you & I'll inspect them before I'll let you enter my home......... ;)

Richardthe3rd, you are correct on all points. I didn't bother with a "fully qualified" plumber as I thought that replacing a radiator shouldn't be much of a problem. I've swapped valves and capped radiators before so (naively) thought this would be just as simple. And it would be simple if it wasn't for this microbore issue.

You are also correct that getting a reducing set would be the way to go but it is just the draining the system and cutting the pipe that is putting me off. Although I think I will probably end up doing this.

Leaks, I should really just get 10mm valves but the thermostatic valve cost me £14, plus another £3.50 for the other end. I appreciate that to some people this is chicken feed but, unfortunately at the moment, to me it's not. So really wanted to utilise these valves if possible.

bazdaman, why do you say take the PTFE tape off the threads?? I was always under the impression that you put this on every joint. It even says this in the fitting instructions for the radiator (put 2 or 3 winds of PTFE tape on the threads) ??

Dextraneous, you have a fair point but I'm thinking I won't have much change out of £80 if I get a 'pro' to do it. Hence me having a go myself. Plus, I have another room to decorate after this so learning a bit more about this work will certainly do no harm.

Thanks for all your help so far everyone. Very much appreciated.

By the way, Richardthe3rd, I'm actually a Lancastrian born and bred. Just found myself in Fife through the amblings of life's road. Have very easily taken to their penny-pinching ways though! :)

So... there's still the question of PTFE tape or not?
Also, am I right in deducing from the answers so far that there isn't such a thing as a back-to-back male connector that could just connect these two things?

Cheers

Oh well in that case John, as an Engerlander white settler, I'm amazed you can understand a bloody word they say.... :LOL:

if you want to connect the fittings in your picture you need a 1/2 inch bsp socket(back to back female}

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back