16mm tails need replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

See the attached picture. The Henley block you see has the main tails going in from the meter and then two old 16mm tails coming out from the block to the CU. Unless I'm mistaken to comply with regs these tails now have to be 25mm. (TNS system) 25mm will not fit into the load side of the Henley block. What is the best way to convert this?

Also some advice please. The other tails you see are the supply to the house next door. The insulation on the N and CPC look pretty amateurish. Is this common? Is it legal? Should they be changed?

Cheers
is.php
[/img]

Sponsored Links
i may be wrong, and im not an expert, but have they used SWA and TAPED the earth core onto the sheath????? One thing's sure, its not terminated correctly. It should be in a box.

Sponsored Links
Looks like split concentric as opposed to SWA, it does look a bit dodgey, but aside from that, can't really comment, not really sure how it should be done.

Change the henley block for one that takes 25mm² tails, or just stick with 16mm² tails as long as the fuse is 80A or less, which you ain't going to know unless you cut the seal and take a look at it, so you might as well change the henley block while you have it out anyway ;)

The old tails also look like VIR but I may be mistaken. Do they have a cotton covering?

pdcelec said:
The old tails also look like VIR but I may be mistaken. Do they have a cotton covering?
is this a bad thing? mine have cotton covering (i think, im not touching them to feel it, but they aren't plastic or rubber)

crafty1289 said:
pdcelec said:
is this a bad thing? mine have cotton covering (i think, im not touching them to feel it, but they aren't plastic or rubber)

It can be a bad thing, but testing is the only real way to tell. The insulation tends to be crumbly and can fall off easily. It should be noted that this type of cable is at least 40 years old and maybe older

who can replace this? they come from the meter to a henley. Does the REC have to do it?

The DNO does not have to do it, and unless they have a domestic contracting business, won't do it - items downstream of the meter are yours.

To be done safely, of course, the supply must be isolated, which means that unless the meter has an inbuilt isolator the service fuse will need to be pulled. This job is generally not advised for DIYers, but there is information in the For Reference topic on how to do it.

While it's out, it would be a good idea to fit/have fitted an isolator.

But regarding that, some DNOs will come out and fit isolators for a reasonable price - I don't know which, but if you tell us which one is yours, someone might know. If they do come and do it, I'm sure they'd replace the tails as well if you've got a new Henley block ready to go.

i thought an electrician couldn't touch the wires into the meter - we could get accused of stealing electricity etc? Or does it not involve taking the cover off the meter? Thought this was why the original tails were left in place and extended when the "spark" did our CU change. Or was he lazy and couldn't be bothered to re-do the connect to the meter?

DNO is YEDL by the way. i'll have a search on google for them, see if i can find out what their charges are.

blob of superglue on the cut seals, how closely does the meter reader inspect them? ;)

Oh, and fit the isolator as ban suggests

Okay guys 100A Henley blcok at the ready and guess what......? The seal is already broken.

The plot thickens though. On closer inspection the tails from the meter to the existing Henley block appear to be 16mm. Is it still advisable to upgrade the tails from the block to the CU to 25mm?

Also the supply to next door is confirmed as SWA with the neutral and CPC wrapped in tape. I can feel the contours of the stranded cable through the tape. I didn't feel to roughly in case I broke the insulation.
The embossed inscription on the SWA is CAP Ltd Electric Cable 600/1000v
Does throw any more light on whether this is legit?

Personally, I have found recently that , providing you ask in advance then no problem.
Say doing a rewire, ring supllier and and ask for a reseal, then after getting an agreed date say" so I have your permission to cut the seals then? answer is always yes, and its monitored so you`re covered.
In the old days it was under pain of death then a threatening letter to cut yer arms and legs off.
Progress is an artform

As I was saying in my post, the latest Wylex 100amp split load cu only state a maximum of 16mm for the tail size, as this is restricted by the terminals.

Maybe people just put a crimp on the end, to fit 25mm if someone can respond.

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back