1782-Disk Controller Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry:
Can anybody please help. I've got a Compaq Deskpro 2000, (old I know) and I've tried to attach 2 HD to it. One is Caviar 1.6 MB and the other is a Samsung 2.1 GB. This has not worked and when I powerup the PC I get the message above 1782 Disk Contoller Failure. I have tried to setup the Bios settings, but I am unsure what setting I should use for the Type field. I have tried 65 for the Samsung and 66 for the Cavier. I have set the jumpers to be master and slave. If you can help I would appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
no idea about your particular pc,but is it worth it with such small hd?

i did have a compaq once (binned it) as it did not lime being altered.

that aside, you say you have set hd jumpers to m and s, are these going onto 2nd id cable (if it has one) if not where is pc's origonal hd?

it may also be that your pc can not see a 2nd hd, as i mentioned i gave up with the compaq i had

Hi
thanks for getting back to me. Re the model of the Hard Drives
one is a Cavier 21600, the other is a Samsung VG32163A, as to the PC, sorry havent got a clue.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Breezer

the original hard disk drive is faulty. I've only got 1 Primary IDE, and I had both drives coming off this cable.

I also did try just using one drive, I had the same results.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Its a Compaq 2000 5166
166mhz, with 16MB Ram

please note 10a which is here

Sponsored Links
Try and get one drive working at a time. Here's a page which lists the drive geometry for the WDC. Select AC21600 from the dropdown list. Try and match the settings to one of those listed in your BIOS. If there is an auto option, choose that, otherwise, there should be a manual setting (49 I think), where you can enter the cylinders/heads/sectors. I'll edit this post when I get details of the other drive.

I think this might be it.

:D Thanks for that I'll await your extra info, than give that a try.
Thanks again.

Just to say thankyou igorian for your assistance. I did manage to get my drives kind of accessible, but the end result is that I had too many bad sectors on my drive. Need to get a new one. Probably bin the whole project and get a different PC.

correct me if i'm wrong but i seem to remember something with compaq's that the IDE cable connections were reversed for the slave?

Zoey said:
sorry, what did you mean by that, I dont understand.
that the IDE cable is twisted so that the connectons are reversed to the slave ie leftmost core of ribbon cable at the master becomes rightmost on the slave.

Can't say that i've come across that arrangement in a Compaq.

Sponsored Links
Back