17th Edition CU - RCDs & Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a full rewire and have doubts about 17th Edition compliance when sparks is supposed to be fully following 17th Edition.

I have:
2 unprotected MCBs oven/hob and boiler
6 MCBs on RCD side 3x32 sockets, 2x6 lights and 1x6 smoke alarm

Surprised that neither kitchen or bathroom is on a totally separate ring, that smoke alarm is RCD and that there's only one RCD which covers all lights.

Would just like some reassurance that all is as it should be. Hopefully all is absolutely fine.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it hasn't even been designed to the 16th edition!
Smokes shouldn't be on the same 30mA RCD as sockets
Both lighting circuits should not be on the same RCD.
Why would a bathroom need to be on its own ring?

haven't quite mastered posting a picture but it's an MK CU with a 100A main switch then:

B40 for oven
B20 for boiler

then on RCD side (80A 30mA)

B32 for kitchen, half hallway and utility sockets,
B32 for bathroom, half hallway and bedroom sockets,
B32 for lounge and bedroom sockets
B6 for lights in lounge, kitchen and bedroom
B6 for bathroom, hallway and bedroom
B6 for smoke alarm

Sponsored Links
Has he issued you with a test certificate yet? If so, where it says for design, construction, inspection & testing does it say in accordance with BS7671:2008? I.e 17th edition.

The oven and boiler devices. Are you sure they are not RCBOs?
Can you say exactly what is written on them (maker and type number) or better post a Pic!

Thanks for the replies

Oven is MK B40 5940s and Boiler is MK B20 5920s

No certificate yet but been told over and over in quote and during the job that it will be to 17th Edition so that is what i expect.

Those are just straight regular MCBs so.
On the face of it the install does not comply with 17edition, unless the wiring is in earthed steel conduit or is routed more than 50mm from the surface of walls etc.

Thanks for the replies

No certificate yet but been told over and over in quote and during the job that it will be to 17th Edition so that is what i expect.

Would be interesting when you get it to have a look at it. Can you post a pic of it when it arrives?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back