17th Edition CU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone clarify exactly what changed in CU's for 17th edition?

There seem to be for sale CU's that are marked as '17th edition' and those from the same manufacturer that *seem* to have identical features but are not (older stock or something more?)

What would be wrong with a modern Wylex split load box with both sides protected by RCB's that's not marked 17thEd?

Sponsored Links
ricicle - thanks

ban-all-sheds - no thanks. I'm fully aware I could buy the regs and try to decipher them but the reason i've asked on an internet forum is because I'm hoping to get an answer.

Of course I could just be a sucker looking for personal abuse in which case I've probably come to the right place. A very odd forum this one.

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking there's no such thing as a "17th edition CU" - mainly a marketing ploy by the manufacturers. The regs have made it a requirement that (to paraphrase simplistically) domestic installations must be fully covered by RCDs; to meet the requirement for full RCD coverage but avoid switching off all circuits at once, the dual-RCD board was born and dubbed the "17th edition" board. But there are other ways of meeting the RCD requirements of the regs, and a sparks who knows his trade can decide for himself how best to do that; the dual-RCD board is just one option.

PJ

thanks - i was just wondering if there were any changes 'under the hood' that I couldn't see.

thanks - i was just wondering if there were any changes 'under the hood' that I couldn't see.
Not really, other than the RCD stuff.
As mentioned in previous posts, it's a selling point by stating 17th edition CU.
They are normally dual RCD protected which is a logical step, but even single RCD protected boards are 17th edition compliant. I am not suggesting you use one, as you can pick up okay 17th ed CUs fully loaded, for as little as £60.

I am not suggesting you use one, as you can pick up okay 17th ed CUs fully loaded, for as little as £60

Which, indeed, I did. Wylex as well. [/quote]

Would it technically be possible to use a Wylex standard 8 way in a new install and make it 17th edition complaint? I know it would be expensive having all those separate RCDs, and rather daft but it is a hypothetical question.

Would it technically be possible to use a Wylex standard 8 way in a new install and make it 17th edition complaint? I know it would be expensive having all those separate RCDs, and rather daft but it is a hypothetical question.

Certainly it would be possible. You could use two RCD's, each feeding a separate Wylex Standard board, which would result in the equivalent arrangement to a single unit with two integral RCD's and a split bus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back