17th edition CU.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted one of them new fangled 17th edition CU jobbies.

What do you reckon?

IMGP3670.jpg

:D

Sponsored Links
Why? :LOL: I have just fitted a nice 4 way metal MEM consumer unit in a commercial premises with no RCD in sight!

Well, it is neat!

What do the 5 cbs in the middle serve
How are the cables run from those (buried or trunking) or is this supervised environment.

That B40 at the end on the right looks a bit lonely!

PS Would have looked better if the RCBOs were all the same MK generation and grouped together.

Sponsored Links
the sad thing about that picture is the 40 amp on the far right, all on his own with no buddies and no cable poked into his head :(

It would be handy if RCBOs had little LED(s) to tell you why they had tripped...

And a USB port so you could download the power and current loading history. That could link to a central server in France and you could then be billed on a per circuit basis.

Ahh, but how are we going to provide separation between the supply and the computer interface... curses..

And a USB port so you could download the power and current loading history. That could link to a central server in France and you could then be billed on a per circuit basis.
Maybe not on a per-circuit basis, although I guess that could be done relatively easily with a bit of intelligence in MCBs.

But how about appliances with the intelligence to switch off if they detect via voltage or frequency drop that the supply is under stress?

Or homeowners setting price/performance policies to automatically adjust thermostats as prices change in real time?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...GB302GB302&q=gridwise+pilot+pacific+northwest

Where's it for Rob if those circuits don 't need RCD protection.

Must say the CU does look a tad mishapen but can definitely see your handy work in there by the tidyness of it all.

What do the 5 cbs in the middle serve

Upstairs Sockets
Downstairs Sockets
Hob
Kitchen appliances
Oven / extractor hood
Fridge Freezer
Central Heating
Lights first floor
Lights ground floor

How are the cables run from those (buried or trunking) or is this supervised environment.

They run from the CU to the floor void in 50mm x 100mm trunking, and then back up the wall either surface in YT2 trunking or flush in steel conduit.

It's a standard domestic house.

That B40 at the end on the right looks a bit lonely!

I ran out of blanks! I'll be swapping it next time I'm up there.

PS Would have looked better if the RCBOs were all the same MK generation and grouped together.

Yep, that annoyed me as well. The new RCBOs are so well designed that an insulated pozi screwdriver is to fat to fit into the hole to tighten up the outgoing neutral terminal. :rolleyes:

The new RCBOs are so well designed that an insulated pozi screwdriver is to fat to fit into the hole to tighten up the outgoing neutral terminal. :rolleyes:

They are all like that. The #2 insulated pozi's don't reach the neutral screw, #1 is OK though.
Most of them have a combi posi screw with a slot so one can use an insulated flat blade screwdriver.

The old schneider type ones were fine.

I think I'll stick to merlin or square D in future :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back