18th Edition Exam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just curious.
When you sit the exam are the questions in subject order?
E.G. Are all questions relating to the Scope of the regulations grouped together, then, say, all questions relating to Earthing grouped together, and so on.

Or is it a mixed bag of questions jumping from one category to another and then back to a previous category etc.

Sponsored Links
When I took the 16th and 17th, I seem to remember that the questions were arranged in the same order as the book.

Yes, they used to be, but there are conflicting reports as to whether the 18th is in order or not.

Perhaps someone who has taken the exam could say for sure.

When I took the 16th and 17th, I seem to remember that the questions were arranged in the same order as the book.
One thing I've often wondered about these exams .... is, say "the 18th exam" an exam about the totality of BS7671:2018 (much/most of which will be the same, or nearly the same, as in the 17th, and maybe earlier), or is it only about things which are new or changed in 18th?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Both - or the whole book, but they would include some of what they think the important new bits.

How is the exam structured
With the 17th Edition exam, City & Guilds made it easier for candidates to pass the Wiring Regulations exam, the questions used to be presented in the order of the Parts of the Regulations. This no longer applies for the 18th Edition.
The exam has 60 questions and they are presented in random order.
In both the 18th Edition Online Practice and 18th Edition Online Certificate Test at the end of this course, we do not present our questions in order, they are drawn randomly from the complete Regulations.
Keeping track of where you are in the exam
Because we know how many questions from each Part are in the exam it can be a good idea to keep track of the questions you have answered. In the exam use a piece of paper and against each Part, mark off when you have answered a question from that Part. As you progress through the exam, you will find yourself ticking the smaller Parts as having been completed – so for any questions after that you will not need to return to that Part.
What is in each Part?

e100-L4-T1.1.jpg

I wouldn't agree that the 18th Edition exam is in random order. It does follow the order of the book fairly closely.

One thing I've often wondered about these exams .... is, say "the 18th exam" an exam about the totality of BS7671:2018 (much/most of which will be the same, or nearly the same, as in the 17th, and maybe earlier), or is it only about things which are new or changed in 18th?

Kind Regards, John
sent you a pm john

The electrician I work with suggested that it did not follow the order in the book, which I was surprised to hear that you could take into the exam with you and use to find the correct answer.
Looking at the test questions he had with him even I can pass that test.

AIUI I'm doing it in the new year.

The electrician I work with suggested that it did not follow the order in the book, which I was surprised to hear that you could take into the exam with you and use to find the correct answer.
It is an exam to show you know how to use the book.

You do not have to know everything by heart.

Is that statement based on having seen (or taken) the exam?
I have read that the exam (computor) gives the questions in a different order for each person (in the room).

I don't know if this was always the case, so perhaps that is why there are varying reports as to whether they are in book order or not.

Both - or the whole book, but they would include some of what they think the important new bits.
Fair enough - and I suppose they have to include some of the 'new bits', otherwise it would effectively be an exam on the 17th! Also, as far as I can make out, many of the changes/additions are pretty minor things, so an exam just on them would mean very little in terms of knowledge of (well, at least, ability to look up!) the 18th ed Wiring Regs as a whole.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Apparently 60 % is a pass, so you only need get 36 right out of 60 questions, as there multichoice too, the odds of passing are quite good even if you guessed some.
Like the 17th you can find a few practise tests on line

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back