18th Edition Exam

I have read that the exam (computor) gives the questions in a different order for each person (in the room). I don't know if this was always the case, so perhaps that is why there are varying reports as to whether they are in book order or not.
Thanks. I've seen that done (varying the order of questions for each candidate) with exams undertaken by people using computers within the same room, presumably because, if they don't, 'cheating' ('copying') is even easier!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've only got experience of the EAL version of the exam, the C&G might be different, but

Questions do follow the order of the regs book as far as chapters are concerned, you'll get all the Qs on chapter one, followed by all the Qs on chapter 2, then 3, 4, etc

Questions are drawn from a largish (how large I don't know) bank, so you are unlikely to get the same questions as the person sat next to you, and very unlikely that it will be in the same running order, and also the what the answers are presented as multiple chocies A, B, C, D is randomised, so if the person next to you did get the same question, he might need to tick B for the right answer and you C.

I'm afriad I only managed a score of 59/60 :(

Sponsored Links
Questions are drawn from a largish (how large I don't know) bank, so you are unlikely to get the same questions as the person sat next to you ....
Interesting. If that's true, it's a new one on me. Questions in multiple choice exams always do come from a fairly large bank of questions, but the norm is that all people sitting a certain exam on a certain occasion get the same questions.

What you are describing would totally preclude the undertaking of 'diagnostics' and 'validation' that is usually undertaken on the results of serious multiple choice exams.

Kind Regards, John

I've only got experience of the EAL version of the exam, the C&G might be different, but

Questions do follow the order of the regs book as far as chapters are concerned,

I'm afriad I only managed a score of 59/60 :(
Whats an EAL version, i done the C&G today and they also did seem mostly in order to me, but im sure jumped back every so often, but as you say maybe still in the same chapter, without me noticing, bit disappointed at only getting 90%, though its a pass.

Are you likely to get questions that use mathematical equations?
Like how to calculate voltage drop?
OR just ones that refer to the regs asking what is the calculation for voltage drop? (which AFAIK is not actually in it).

Not directly.

It's multiple choice exam.

Though obviously if you don't know you might have to calculate to determine the correct one.

I was asked the volt drop for 10metres of 2.5mm T and E with a 20 amp load, so it appears they use figures that are easy, unfortunately i got it wrong as i did not have time to look up the volt drop per metre , I quessed the lowest answer but i think it was the 2nd.
The way some questions where worded caught me out.

OR just ones that refer to the regs asking what is the calculation for voltage drop? (which AFAIK is not actually in it).

Its in written form page 381, section 6 of appendix 4 3rd paragraph, can be found via the index under Voltage drop

If the exam alters the question order for each person (to avoid cheating) how can they be in book order?

If the exam alters the question order for each person (to avoid cheating) how can they be in book order?
Because they are ordered by section. You don't get the same questions - there is a bank. So it's not that everyone is answering the same questions in different orders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back