1930s ground floors - to underheat or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps

Have a 1930s house. ground floors are void / air brick with joists then floorboards. Drafty and chilly in winter. We want to retain the floorboard look. I've been round and insulated as best I could between boards etc but realistically, it is time to pull the boards up and sort things out properly.

Am thinking battens onto joists, then 50mm celotex between each joist, followed by either expanding foam or tape round the joints to eliminate most (ideally all) of the air gaps then re-lay either the existing or a new floor.

My question is, if I do the above, would I also be able to lay some underfloor heating pipes and then screed over the celotex up to the level of the joists?

Ta muchly.

Sponsored Links
Actually, now I think about it, the bigger issue will be having a tiny thermal break between the screed and the wood floor as I won't be able to bond direct to the screen if I am sticking with a wood floor?

Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Sponsored Links
Fair point.
Going to do the insulation part between the joists to try and remove the 10,000 cold drafts in the room, then see how that feels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back