1930's roof structures!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of help, im currently doing a building surveying course at uni and am doing work on roof structures. The task i have atm is to find what roof structure would have been used in the 1930;s to cover a span of 9m x 6m with no loadbearing walls. Could any of you tell me whether i am right in thinking that a series of trusses would have been used to support the purlins because of the large span?

Cheers! :evil:

Sponsored Links
that would certainly be a way of doing it probably 2 king or queen trusses spaced evenly along the 9m length or probably just 1 if the eaves were along the 6m length.

Thanks for your reply, got another question for you now :p

Again related to 1930's construction, how would a flat roof be constructed to span an area 7.5m x 7m??

Any help appreciated!!

2 ways would be:-

Use steel beams to break the area into smaller sections with wooden joists spanning between.

Cast a concrete reinforced slab in-situ

Sponsored Links
Cheers bud, forgot to mention there is no intermediate support for the area. So would it be more likely to be a concrete roof at that time??

I'm not an expert on 1930's construction but certainly a lot of roofs from that time are concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back