Upgrading new build garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just moved into a new build with a double garage.

The double garage is a nice size and I want to use it as a man cave.

The roof structure is formed of a complex network of slim rafters spanning the space. Over long spans, they are joined together using those thin metal plate rafter joiners.

My understanding is that most new build garage roofs are constructed in this way - quick and cheap to put up with the bare minimum structural strength.

What I would like to do is upgrade the roof structure so that I can remove the existing rafters and free up the roof space currently taken up by this network of rafters. It would create an awesome large man cave space!

I would also like to insulate the roof at the same time.

Is this possible? Has anyone done anything similar? I can put up pictures if required.

regards,

Chris

Sponsored Links
No problem if you have the odd £10k sitting around. You will probably also need Planning Permission to convert a new build garage and two off road parking spaces must be retained/created.

My understanding is that most new build garage roofs are constructed in this way - quick and cheap to put up with the bare minimum structural strength.

Thats an incorrect understanding. These are roof trusses, and are quick, but not necessarily cheap, and they are inherently strong.

And you will need to work out if the thin garage walls can then support your proposed type of roof.

Thanks,

Sorry trusses not rafters!

I am happy to leave it as a garage, so no need for planning - just want to modify the roof.That said, I guess an inner wall would be required to support a heavier roof structure so this would impact on the garage size. I wouldn't be adverse to spending some money on it if it made it a more usable space. Do you think it would be best to get a builder to look at it, an architect, a structural engineer, or a roofing firm??

Sponsored Links
We know what you mean, typically a couple of steels are required down each side to support (what will become) the rafters and a structural floor can be supported between the two steels. A competent builder should have an idea as to what's involved so may give you a guesstimate. but ultimately a structural engineer will be required to size the steels etc. This will give you an idea of the principles involved: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/large-loft-conversion.137740/page-2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back