Strength of garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm building a den for my children in the garage roof. Before I go any further I want to hire someone to take a look and tell me whether the garage structure will take the weight.

Can anyone advise me please on who I should be getting in touch with? An architect? Structural engineer? Problem with latter may be that they all seem to be firms who do civil engineering projects. Don't think theyd be too interested in a kids den in someone's garage roof.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Posting some pics of the outside roof cover and the inside rafter framing would help.
What you suggest is no big deal and any competent joiner or builder could do the job.
Presume you've thought through safety issues eg fumes?

Many thanks both. I will be careful with the fumes.

After I posted here, I tried a structural engineer and was surprised that they will assess a small project like this. They're coming next week.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks both. I will be careful with the fumes.

After I posted here, I tried a structural engineer and was surprised that they will assess a small project like this. They're coming next week.
Suggest you have a decent sketch of what you intend to put up there. A structural eng will be able to calculate the deformation of the structure, and what it is capable of supporting, but all that takes time, and it's that plus their public liability insurance that you'll pay for. Make it simple and clear what you want to do and you'll keep your costs down.

Posting some pics of the outside roof cover and the inside rafter framing would help.
What you suggest is no big deal and any competent joiner or builder could do the job.
Presume you've thought through safety issues eg fumes?

i agree..." in the garage roof"
that means your garage is a bit like mine...sloping roof with trusses...which are taking roof loads already.
there isnt much room in my roof void...and the comment about ventilation is important and access is limited

its would be clearer to have some photos...trusses are really light weight and dont bend but go into tension/compression only

your engineer will explain that your loading may need a separate floor design which doesnt rely on the trusses taking any vertical loading between the points where the the truss members are attached....they aren't beams

an king post truss could be an answer to take the roof loading and give some space to move around allowing the truss members to be removed making the existing trusses redundant....

will be glad to see the solution, please

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back