Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed the following two beams for my loft conversion. 5.1m 203x203x46kg on 100x150x500mm pad stones.

Unfortunately these are sticking through the roof slope.

I have been told by an architect these can be cut at 45 degrees halfway up the beam without compromising the structural integrity of the design. This would result in them stitting flush with the roof but not under the tiles.

Can anyone advise me if building control would take exception to this?

Sponsored Links
Thanks but not really answering the question. The beams will have lead over them, it was more a structual question. Structual engineer says its fine but builder says it isn't. I am wondering has anyone had any experience with building control in relation ot this?

Seriously? You're gonna leave the tops of the steels poking out through the face of the tiles albeit waterproofed with a bit of lead? That aside, if the SE say's it's OK (and he may need to put it in writing) then Mr BC should accept it.

Should have posted in the Building section BTW.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Freddie. This is very common actually next time you're taking a walk down the street look out for it!

Nope never seen a bit of steel poking out above the tiles clad in lead. Maybe your architect told you it's common but it ain't. It should have been designed out.

Thats really interesting. I too have never actually seen that but looks like as you say it is done.
Just my lay persons opinion but I have cut a timber beam at 45 degrees to fit into the roof slope in the past. Didn’t like the feel of it initially but once installed it clearly was perfectly strong. You probably already know there are mainly sheer forces at the ends of a beam and bending forces nearer the middle. I am guessing that thickness of steel would withstand one hell of a lot of sheer force.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back