1989 Metro losing power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I was wondering whether anyone could help with a troublesome Metro.

Its a 1989 1.0L, and is losing power at intermittent and random times. You can start it and be driving around happily for a while, then all of a sudden the power will drop and despite having your foot to the floor, its going nowhere. Switch off and give it a rest for 10 mins and its fine for another couple of days. Weird!

We've tried the obvious like plugs, points etc, and having the fuel pump replaced and system flushed, but now I'm at a bit of a loss. Anyone have any ideas for me to try next?

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
1989 1.0L metro losing power :LOL: Let the OAP rest, it's knackered !! Seriously it's 17 years old, even filling it up probably doubles it's value. Sorry it's not more constructive, but with this type of car at this age, I'd be loathe to re MOT it, let alone service it.

Sometimes a dodgy coil can cause this problem, works well for a while then gives up, same with the condensor.

Otherwise - does it have an SU carb with the plastic screw cap on the top (dash pot)? - reason I ask is, it was more of a Maestro thing but they would often lose power in the same way to yours, the solution was to open the cap, let some air in, and away it would go. Make sure there is oil in this dash pot as well.

Problem could be carb float valve sticking/worn which would account for the time you have to wait for it to start again.Try new valve and clean through carb.

Sponsored Links
As pipe suggested,look to the carb.remove it and check in the float chamber for a bit of crap floating about and periodically blocking the jets.

;)

Water in fuel ?

Poor electrical connections on ignition circuit primary?

Arcing on distributor cap?

Rare one, loose needle in SU carb!

Tony

Well I've had a bit of a nose around and can't really see anything obvious, including all the things listed above :(

So its off to the garage tomorrow for a professional's eye....I'll let everyone know what it turns out to be!

Check your valve clearances. On an oldie like this if the seats are wearing the valves could go tight, especially when hot. Could lead to your symptoms.

Could be icing around the base of the carb, especially if the air inlet system has been modified or deteriorated. When it stops quickly stick your hand under the carb, if it's wet of icy I'm right! Make sure the filter inlet diverter sucks from just above the exhaust manifold when cold.

Sponsored Links
Back