1993 1.4i Astra stalling at IDLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my partners car is an old 100,000 mile 1.4i Astra. It's been parked up for a few months but I've managed to get it going (fixed oil leak, put in new spark plugs, charged battery). It runs fine except for two things.

1, the big problem is, it keeps stalling at idle, the idle speed feels very low, is there anyway to adjust this or is it ECU Controlled. I know it's a bit of a no no, but would adjusting the throttle cable be an option?

2, the Fan belt keeps slipping (yes I have tightened it!) but the altenator bracket seems to be loose where it fits to the engine behind the timing belt. Without taking the timing belt off, to tighten this, does anybody have any idea's.

Thanks,

Darren

Sponsored Links
Forgot, I have another issue.

The Rear Windscreen wiper doesn't work. The fuse is ok and the motor it passing current. any ideas?

Thanks

Darren

Hi Darren

Idle speed is controlled by the ECU & Idle Control Valve.
I'm assuming that the car is a 1.4 single point fuel injection. If so, the idle valve does go faulty or needs cleaned out.

http://www.vauxallparts.co.uk/?product_id=12247&option=Prod_detail&image_id=8553

this link will show you what it looks like, bolted on to the side of the Multec fuel injection unit. Worth removing and giving a good blast with carb cleaner as they do get clogged up.

I'm assuming the car doesnt have power steering, otherwise there is an belt tensioner on the fan belt which do go faulty. If you think the Alt bracket is loose, better get in there and tighten it up.

Probably the rear wiper motor, quite a common problem from my experience

cheers

CJ

Sponsored Links
Hi CJ,

Thanks for the tips and the great post.

Cheers,

Darren

Back