1998 VW POLO 1.6 Comfortline - boot wont unlock at times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My boot wont open with the central locking device or when locking the car with the key.
I have spent much money taking it to the VW dealer and they cant find anything wrong.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
check the wires in the rubber gaitor in the rear hatch.check the wires carefully for any shorts.

Normally when the electric boot lock fails on these, the boot can't be opened in any other way than flicking back the manual catch from inside the car. At the same time, once the boot is open, it won't stay closed again.
Does that sound familiar?
John :)

Sponsored Links
When my boot is faulty - it wont open with the electronic car key or by clicking the central locking switch on the driver's door - the only way I can access the boot is by pulling down the back seats.

I can go for days and everything will be working fine, then suddenly without any warning it will become faulty and I cant open the boot for a couple of days, then all will be in order again for a while.

Has a new electric boot lock been fitted - the genuine VW article? These are known for being fairly short lived!
John :)

I always take my car to the VW dealership for all services and repairs.
They took the boot lock apart and found nothing.
They did the diagnostic testing and found nothing.

Sponsored Links
Back