1st fix for tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am renovating a house and have put 1st fix cables in as the diagram below

i have a last chance before plasterer is to cover them over
is there anything wrong with this layout?
i am not certain what subscription (freeview, sky) tv i will eventually have, i just want make sure i have cables right for most eventualities.

hope for some comments ( i have just realised that i have missed one cable of my drawing, that is a cat 5 from BT incoming to loft distribution point)

Russell[/code]

Sponsored Links
Just realised that my picture in the post as been cropped!! tthe key to the cables is
Orange = 2 core coax (shotgun cable) (1 line equals 2core cable)
blue= cat 5 data cable

Whether something is wrong or not depends very much on your expectations of how you'll run the system.

If it was me, I wouldn't run the satellite cables via a distribution system. I know the amps have satellite inputs and the diplex/triplex/quadplex wall plates have a satellite out socket or two, but really, satellite signals can't be distributed this way if you expect to use more than one Sky/Freesat receiver/recorder at the same time. The exception is where a multi-switch is fitted to do the distributing. These work with a different kind of satellite LNB and it overcomes the issues of receiver clashes.

For networking, depending on the number of outputs required, then its more usual to fit a network switch (8-way/16-way/32-wat etc) and have multiple points wired up. If you are future-proofing, then it's sensible to wire for the TV (SmartTV features) and 3-4 data points for equipment on the TV cabinet that make use of an online connection. For example, Sky HD and the more advanced Freeview and Freesat receiver/recorders all include the ability to download additional content from the web as part of their "catch-up TV" facilities. Games consoles, surround systems, Blu-ray players, media players, Hi-Fis and all sorts of domestic entertainment products now include some form of web accessed additional features. Although many include Wi-Fi access there's some very good reasons to use wired instead: The main ones being speed of service both for the device itself and any other devices operation on the same network, and security.

You don't seem to have made provision for any aerials, TV, FM, DAB.

Sponsored Links
You might like to read this page: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/multiswitches.htm

Also, when you are a bit more certain what you want, dump your "fag packet sketch" and draw a comprehensive wiring diagram with all details. Keep it updated with any changes that you make as you go along.

When it's all finished and working, file it away safely. This way, when something goes wrong in the future or there's a transmission change, you won't be racking your brains trying to figure out "where does this wire go" or "why did I run that to there" or "where did I buy this socket from - I need an identical replacement".

I also recommend using WF100 cable and taking advantage of the fact that it's available in 6 colours. You can select colours for carrying different signals. Mark the colours on the diagrams.

Keep a photographic record of the work as you progress - especially any wiring that will be plastered over. It'd handy when your spouse decides she wants a picture hanging!

As above, use WF100 rather than 65 shotgun - the losses are less which will be an issue once the next bit comes in ...
Decide on a central point, which appears to be what you've almost done. Take all your antenna (satellite, UHF, VHF, DAB) to there along with your phone service. Run multiple cables (coax and "cat5"*) to each point you may want it - I'd say 2 coaxes to most points, 3 or 4 to the main TV, and 3 cat5 to each point, 4 to the main TV. Where did those numbers come from ?

It needs 2 coaxes to service a satellite devices with twin tuners (Freesat+, Sky+, TVs with PIP or recording ability). At the main TV point (where most people put their Sky+ box) it's better if you have a separate cable for the RF return to the rest of the house if you go that way and another for the UHF/VHF/DAB - saves muxing Sat and Terrestrial down one cable.
You can use a Cat5 cable for the phone, but not vice-versa - so in general I don't think it's worth putting in "phone" cable (which should be CW1308 spec). You'll want at least one network connection for each point given how much stuff is networked these days - and you have the chance to do it with cable now which is better than WiFi any day for this sort of thing (anyone who says otherwise is an id10t or just lying).
Lastly, you can run HDMI over Cat5/6 - but the better units need two cables, one cable imposes some limitations. So rather than use RF to feed your Sky round the house (at really crap quality by todays standards), you could use HDMI extenders/switching system to pipe decent signals round the house

Of course, far better still, and achievable with some planning in most houses, is to simply may provision to pull more cables in later. The trick is to put some work in - use conduit (the wide flat oval type normally) and don't do the normal trick of stopping it short of the box - so plaster blocks the last half inch ! Enlarge the holes in the standard back boxes (a "nibbler" tool is good for this) so that the conduit finishes more or less flush with the inside surface of the box. Then usually it's a case of making sure you can get a selection of floor boards up in order to get access in future.
Not always possible, but in most "traditional" types of house it should be.

* "Cat5" in general conversation usually means Cat5e as most people (myself included) can't be bothered saying/writing the "e" all the time ! You can of course use Cat6 which is a higher spec cable and slightly more future proof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back