1st floor chimeny

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been renovating my girlfriends flat, re boarded all walls, celotex, new ceiling, new stair case etc etc...

It is a first floor flat set above a shop. In the lounge there is a chimney, this had a skim of bricks built Asa terrible surround, on removing these I discovered there was no lintel, I have fitted a concrete one. But it dawned on me that the chimney breast is on an outside wall, and is above a shop window. I.e no chimney underneath. I don't know If the building was built like this (1920's) or if a wall and bottom of the chimney was removed to fit the shop window some time ago. How can I check this? There is a cement hearth in the floor. I have looked through the shop window and cannot tell if there is a support installed. I don't want to ask in the shop as it will open a whole can of worms.

I've attached a pic but it's upside down!
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Is there actually a problem with it, eg cracking or settlement of the floor?

Difficult to know without investigating from beneath. Its probably been done donkeys years ago and not going anywhere, but wouldn't pass any building regs today.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, no problem as far as I can see, this must have been done years ago as the shop windows are old style. I think there may bean RSJ in place but its hard to see. if I remove a couple of floor boards would I be able to tell?

Just with some of the other bodges I have found, such as voids round the window frames where the weight drop boxes had not been filled etc. it could be anything with this flat.

and thanks for sorting the pic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back