Removing Chimney On Ground Floor After First Floor Done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me and hubby recently bought a small studio flat. It is very small. There is a chimney breast which I would like to remove but we have had conflicting advice from some tradesmen.

The chimney breast above has been removed many years ago and there are gallow brackets in the flat upstairs.

Is it safe to remove the entire chimney breast from the floor below or does this give some structural stability to the flat?

One tradesman reckoned you could remove the whole lot whereas another said you would have to use steel beams...

Your advice is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be any problem removing the breast. There won't be any need for steel beams as there is no chimney breast directly above.

The chimney breast will offer some stability to the building, but unless it's a very long wall (over 9m without a buttress for two storey buildings) then it won't be a problem.

Remember to get building regs approval, and approval from the freeholder. The party wall act will apply if it's a wall with an adjoining building.

I go with Ronny on this.

However, you ( the OP ) should carefully make sure that there is no bearing brickwork, from the old c/breast, left in the upstairs flat, and that the hearth floor area has been made good.

Perhaps the upstairs people took out a party wall permission? If so, and all being equal, you might proceed with removing your c/breast. But use a local builder - task him/her with the complete job.

Is there anyone below you?

Dont move in until all the work, including painting and decorating, is complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back