1st floor fire regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping to make the ground floor of our terrace open plan (sprinkler/mist system and open stairs covered elsewhere), but want to check requirements for 1st floor. I understand all habitable rooms need a fire door, but does the stairs to the habitable loft room need one as well? I don't see why it wouldn't, but can it be at the bottom of the stairs ok as pictured (arrows show going up the stairs? Or does it need a landing of some sort between the bottom of the stairs and the door?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-03 10.27.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-03 10.27.48 AM.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
Just getting as much understanding as I can at this point before contacting BCO. They've always been pretty helpful in my experience, though.

Technically you'd need 400mm between the swing of the door and the bottom step. So the landing would be the door swing + 400mm, what you're proposing would not comply. But if you're pally with your BCO then try and see what he'll accept.

Sponsored Links
The requirement is a protected route from the upper floors down to ground floor and out to external.

So you can't say you are having a fire suppression system and open stairs if this has not already been approved, because you may not be able to. And likewise, if you have had such a system agreed then part of that process would have included what is required to the upper floors.

So you need a single strategy for fire safety and means of escape, and not one of "I'm doing this downstairs, and this upstairs".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back