Fire door regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Does anyone know of a bi-fold door which meets fire regs?

I am building a loft room and want to put the door to the stairs (to the loft room) at the bottom opening onto the landing. To do this I would need a bi-fold door to meet minimum restriction requirements on the landing.

Sponsored Links
First thing to say is to make you aware that a fire door is either a fire door or it is not when you buy it. You cannot make your own. I'm not aware of there being a bi-fold fire door on the market. The only thing I could think of is to get yourself a fire door blank from Howdens or similar and cut it down to make the two leaves to suit. Obviously fire seals will be a must, it also might be worth getting a rebate built in where the leaves close together. A fire door blank is basically a huge fire door that can be cut down to suit a particular opening.

Only written confirmation from your area Building Inspector that this solution will be Approved should be relied upon.

You can buy firedoors from howdens/magnet/jewsons...

They come in two sizes 8ft x 3ft and 8ft x 4ft.

They are pretty usefull as long as you don't mind them looking pretty plane.

I've just finished a modern house and used them - lovely weight and feel.

I've painted them with satinwood (rollered on). After each coat I use my FESTOOL sander and vac, after getting down to a 600 grit. It's like having a gloss silk finish - very nice.

I used a TREND router bit to cut the firestop rebate. However, hang the door and put all the furnature on first. I found that I still needed to paint the rebate are to make the fireseal sit tight.

Sponsored Links
The BCO has said it is ok to use bi-fold door "so long as it meets 20 min fire regulations". We plan to use Bollom Intuclear flame-retardant clear varnish on the current doors and the door to the loft, which has been approved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back