1way & 2way switches help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes i've done something silly- i've replaced 2 hall switches and of course something's gone wrong.

upstairs hall light switch=1 way switch works fine on and off but does not swich OFF when switched ON from downstairs.

downstairs hall light switch=2 way switch which works fine for downstairs light and for upstairs light on and off but now does not switch OFF the upstairs light when switched ON from upstairs

downstairs light shouldn't be the prob as i drew a sketch beforehand. upstairs I'm not so sure. 2 red wires i put into 'C' and the black, blue and yellow into L1.

please don't take the **** ;) I'm trying, but got no one to teach me. sob sob. :cry:

Sponsored Links
You need to check the downstairs switch and see which of the 3 core has been used as the "common" ie red or yellow. Duplicate this upstairs then put the red from the twin and earth into L1 with one wire from the 3 core and the black from the twin and earth with the last remaining cable into L2. For clear diagrams the for reference section may help.

if i take you at your word and you say the upstairs has a one way switch that would be wrong for a start, it should be 2 way, one gang (it has 3 terminals) not 1 gang 1 way, which only has 2 terminals

Sponsored Links
yep i think that could be the prob. will try it with a new switch soon... thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back