2.3 kw whirpool oven - how to connect - plus questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought the above cooker and I am wondering how to connect it.

I understand that 2.3 kw is low wattage and it could be connected to an existing plug, is this correct? or does it need it own wiring from the consumer unit?

The kitchen previuosly had only a gas range/cooker therefore there is no dedicated line for the appliance.

2.3 kw is equal to how many amperes?

Sponsored Links
mrminto said:
I have bought the above cooker and I am wondering how to connect it.

I understand that 2.3 kw is low wattage and it could be connected to an existing plug, is this correct? or does it need it own wiring from the consumer unit?

I wouldnt say low wattage but i think it can be connected to a plug (but not recommended?)

watss/230v = amps.

2300w = 2.3kw
2300w/230v = 10amps.

so a 10amp fuse should do it.

Though i think you should have it connected to a switch near the oven to knock it off (if it caught fire , you cant get to the back of the plug to switch it off)

Though someone else will hopefully confirm what i have said or correct me!

Sponsored Links
If the kitchen has a dedicated cooker supply I would use it, hard wired with a cooker outlet is better than a plug and scoket as the plug/socket combination is designed with wiping of surfaces in mind and this will not happen with a permanently plugged in appliance.

If the kitchen does not have a cooker outlet and you are re-wiring I would put one in to future proof the kitchen.

I would only plug it into the ring if nothing else was practical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back