Electric Cooker Power Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought an electric oven, forgetting that this usually requires its own circuit / cooker control unit etc. Being on gas previously, we do not have such a circuit.
Is it possible for me to connect this in to the existing circuit in the kitchen, feeding my socket and appliance outlets? The cooker gives its power rating at 2.3 Kw, which appears similar to other kitchen appliances.
What are the risks attached to doing this, and i f I can do it, what sort of connection / switching should i use?

Sponsored Links
It is a Mumsig OBI B10 intergrated oven; from Ikea.
Energy class: B.
Energy consumption with a standard load, top and bottom heating: 0.99 kWh.
Energy consumption with a standard load, forced air: 1.10 kWh.

You say power rating at 2.3 Kw. This is about 10 Amps which is typical for a UK single oven, and it can be supplied off a fused plug in an ordinary 13A socket.

You will need a gas hob, as electric ones use a lot more power.

I have assumed that you have a fairly modern Ring circuit, fused at 30A or 32A; sufficient sockets, and not many other appliances using high power on the circuit, like electric heaters.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou john; I was intending to supply the cooker from a box which supplied the former oven ignition - not a plug socket, hard wired. Are you recommending that i replace this with a regular socket?
Also, what of a switch - as you get with a cooker control unit - should i be switching the connection?

John, actually i don't know how the circuit is fused; will this be obvious at the consumer unit?

Perhaps you mean a switched fused connection unit (FCU)?

p2034740_l.jpg

Some of them have flex outlets.
Put in a 10A fuse if you can find one, otherwise a 13A fuse.
You need the switch to be close, visible and easily accessible so that you can switch off the power for servicing, or on the event of an emergency such as a fat fire.

The consumer unit ought to be labelled to say which MCB or fuse controls which circuit.The MCBs or fuses will have their rating marked on them. Some are colour coded instead.

Hi, newbie here.

I too have this oven, and am presently fitting it in my new kitchen.
Previously, I had a free standing Belling Oven/Hob. which is fed from a Consumer Unit.

and it goes to an isolator switch

The new hob is seperate from the oven, and I am going to feed the hob from the exsisting supply.

However, I am wondering what the best way to wire in the new oven is.

I am in a top floor flat, with access to the loft where the existing cables are.

Should I run a new cable from the existing 32A RCD, to a switched fused connection unit, or do i need to add a new RCD at the consumer Unit?

Also, from reading this thread, the Oven draws about 10A, is 2.5mm Twin and Earth enough, or should I use 4mm?

I also see that there are building regulations covering kitchens, so I guess i shall have to get a building warrant for adding this?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back