Cable size for 6kw hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again guys, need some more advice. Fitting a 6kw ceramic hob above a 2.3 kw oven (which now has its own dedicated 2.5mm radial circut to the new consumer unit). Was planning to use existing 6mm cable for the hob. What meagre instructions there are recommends the hob should be connected with 2.5mm heat resistant which is fine but where do I connect it to the 6mm ? Do I run the 2.5mm to the cooker outlet and then to the load terminals on the cooker switch therefore avoiding putting 6mm and 2.5mm in the same terminals on the cooker outlet or does it matter? My other problem is the electrician who installed the consumer unit says he had to attach a 40amp breaker to the hob radial because the 6mm cable requires it. That seems to me to be far to big considering there is 2.5mm cable down the line. Do I replace the breaker with a smaller one and what size? Hope I'm making myself clear and any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Would advise 4mm² heat resistant flex, no problems with connecting it to the cooker connection point, each terminal is like two terminals on one piece of copper if that makes sense, so it doesn't matter that the cables are different, swap breaker for a B32

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back