2.5 mm shelf life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have roll of 2.5 mm T&E PVC cable with approx 60meters on it. It must be at least 15years old( still looks like new), it has been stored under the stairs. Is it still useable? how long does it take for it to deteriorate on the reel?

Sponsored Links
It's usable until 2006, when the core colours become obsolete.

The cable should be absolutely fine as long as it passes an insulation resistance test. (Best test before use though, rather than install it and then find it fails.)

Sponsored Links
Actually, for a 60m length of uninstalled cable I would hope you'd get values closer to 1000 Mega-Ohms. For new installs I generally get a range of values between 800 and 1800 Megs on socket circuits. If you only got 2 Megs I'd say your insulation was ***ked.

ban-all-sheds said:
dingbat said:
It's usable until 2006, when the core colours become obsolete.
But who's to know?

Blimey B-a-s, haven't you heard? Come 2006 the IEE Colour Police will conduct a house-to-house search and anybody seen in possession of sensibly colour-coded cable will be whisked away to Michael Faraday House for a jolly good talking to!

Followed by a lengthy session of ECT. Harmonised, naturally!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back