problems re certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys your suggestions would be much appreciated

An aquaintance of mine asked me if I would board and skim a kitchen extension and router cut 2 worktops clamp and fit ,he also asked me to put him in touch with an electrician friend. I must explain this customer
although a very nice chap is as tight as they come, the sort who insists on buying all materials himself although both the sparks and myself could supply much cheaper even after loading on 5% handling.

The sparks determined that the existing circuits consisted of 2 radials in 2.5 t&e 4 sockets up and 4 downstairs both into the same 30A fuse,a redundant 4mm cooker supply on 30A fuse,a 2.5 redundant immersion supply on 15A fuse and 3 lighting loops on 5A fuses.

This all looked very messy, cracked switches, sockets almost burried in plaster etc so sparky asked if customer had considdered a rewire but was told this was out of the question as alot of decorating would be required and solid wood laminate had been lain in lounge and dining room.

The sparky tested the redundant 4mm cooker radial and the downstairs 2.5 radial found them to be OK and so under sufferance used these to create a ring for the new kitchen sockets,FCUs and outlets and demanded that he fit an RCD socket by the french doors the circuit checked out OK in dining room for the downlights in kitchen( so far so good).

The customer has now decided he wants a new split MCB/RCD consumer unit , and on checking out up stairs radial and lighting loop earth
faults have been found on both, sparks has done all easy checks on sockets switches, pendants etc with no joy and says problem could be any where JBs nailed cables etc.

Sparky will certify his work but will not fit consumer unit and says he will have to note other faults. Customer says he should have checked befor starting any work.

My questions are where does this leave the customer and my sparky
friend with the building inspector

Appologies for this very lengthy post.

Kind regards Wes

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by Building inspector, is he not Part P registered or something?

hi Chivers7 thanks for reply
He is part P ,but as the complete extension is subject to planning and building control I just wondered if the electrical faults would
1 stop the council signing the job off or;-
2 incurr problems for the sparky not checking all circuits befor starting work
Regards Wes

wesj said:
.Sparky will certify his work but will not fit consumer unit and says he will have to note other faults. Customer says he should have checked befor starting any work.

If the electrician was originally called in to do limited work (no rewire and no new CU) then he is not obliged to test circuits he is not working on (though he is supposed to check earthing and main bonds in place).

If the client later invites the electrician to contract for addtional work (which invitation the electrician is not obliged to accept) then the electrician should identify what is required to do that work.

If the customer has faults and work to be done, additional to that originally specified, he will have to pay for it.

Sponsored Links
Your friend would only normally have to check the earthing and bonding arrangements prior to completing the work since the customer didn't request a PIR or check on other equipment I'm at a loss as to why he should think the sparky mate you have should have checked all the exisiting cable.

I would have thought the building control will pass the extension off if there is an installation certificate for the work carried out for it. It's up to the home owner to have any other remdial work carried out not directly involved with the rebuild part

always check what you are agreeing too before signing. I know for our extention the plans included the requirement to bring the existing electrical installation up to BS7671.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back